High Blood Pressure, Cardiovascular Disease, and Excess Weight
High blood pressure, or hypertension, is a common but potentially dangerous medical condition characterized by consistently elevated blood pressure levels. It affects millions of people worldwide and is a leading cause of cardiovascular disease and coronary artery disease.
Excess weight gain, especially when associated with increased visceral adiposity, is a major cause of hypertension, accounting for 65% to 75% of the risk for human primary (essential) hypertension
At Harvey Brooker Weight Loss for Men we have helped thousands of Toronto men lose weight in a natural way and manage high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
Types of High Blood Pressure
Primary (essential) hypertension: This is the most common type of high blood pressure, affecting 90-95% of people with the condition. Unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercise, excess alcohol consumption, smoking, stress and obesity cause primary hypertension.
Secondary hypertension: This type of high blood pressure occurs as a result of an underlying medical condition, such as kidney disease or hormonal disorders. It accounts for about 5-10% of all cases and is usually reversible once the underlying cause is identified and treated.
Common Issues Associated with High Blood Pressure
Hypertension can lead to various serious health issues:
- Stroke: High blood pressure can damage blood vessels in the brain, leading to an increased risk of stroke.
- Heart attack: Hypertension contributes to plaque buildup in the arteries, which can lead to a heart attack.
- Heart failure: High blood pressure forces the heart to work harder, which eventually weakens the heart muscle, leading to heart failure.
- Kidney disease: Hypertension can damage the blood vessels in the kidneys, reducing their ability to filter waste from the blood and potentially leading to kidney failure.
- Vision problems: High blood pressure can damage the blood vessels in the eyes, resulting in vision problems or even blindness.
How High Blood Pressure Can Affect Men
- Erectile dysfunction: High blood pressure can damage the blood vessels and nerves responsible for erectile function, leading to erectile dysfunction.
- Prostate issues: Men with hypertension may have an increased risk of developing an enlarged prostate, known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), which can cause urinary issues.
- Testosterone levels: High blood pressure has been linked to lower testosterone levels, which can contribute to fatigue, decreased sex drive, and reduced muscle mass.
- Higher risk of cardiovascular events: Men are generally at a higher risk of experiencing cardiovascular events, such as heart attacks and strokes, compared to women. High blood pressure further increases this risk.
How We Support Men With High Blood Pressure in Toronto
We help overweight men manage their health issues by eating better without going hungry and developing healthy habits that last a lifetime.
Many of our members who suffer from high blood pressure and are on blood pressure medication are able to lower their doses or get off their medication completely by changing their lifestyle and eating habits.
Personalized Support: We offer both online and in-person weight loss support, as well as group and personal coaching. No matter the format, our members receive the motivation, support and guidance they need to succeed.
Unique Eating Plan: Our easy-to-follow 20/20 Healthy Eating Plan™ is tailored just for men and it uses a calculated unit system that will help you understand portion control and make better eating choices without going hungry. Everything can be purchased at your local supermarket.
Accountability: Our program helps members stay on track through regular check-ins and support.
Proven Success: We have helped thousands of men regain their health since 1985. Take a look at our Google reviews!
Attend a free meeting and see why our program has provided consistent and lasting success for our members.